Bathroom Design Trends 2022: Most Popular Shower Colors & DesignsDec 14, 2022
New Preferences Emerge in Bathroom Design Trends 2022
When it’s time to update your bathroom, there’s nothing more fun than mixing and matching design options to create the perfect space for your home. At Improveit, our team loves helping homeowners through the design process – not to mention seeing each unique bathroom come together on installation day!
Wrapping up 2022, we’ve done some trendspotting to create our new Bathroom Design Trends 2022 report. Take a look below to find out which bath and shower colors, design selections, and accessory options rose to the top this year.
Bathroom Design Trends 2022: Showers Reign Supreme
From families outgrowing their need for a bathtub to accommodating universal design and aging-in-place needs, garden tub removal and tub-to-shower conversions remained the most popular bath remodeling projects in 2022.
- Overall, 75% of bath remodeling projects included installing a shower in 2022.
- Bathtubs were incorporated into 30% of bath remodels, either as tub-shower combos or side-by-side tub and shower installations.
- A whopping 92.5% of tubs selected were white, while 82.5% of shower bases were white.
- The sleek-lined “straight” bathtub design was chosen by nearly 70% of homeowners, followed by the Wave tub style used in 17% of projects.
Shower Colors: Marble Looks & Dark Grout Lines Make a Move
We have a new top shower color since our last shower trends report! Here are the highlights for shower colors in 2022:
- Calcutta marble took over the top spot for shower colors in 2022, selected for 18.9% of projects. White fell to second place, used in 15.7% of projects, down from 16.8% in our last report.
- Marble wall colors (including Calcutta, Silver White, Pompeii, and Lightning) remain a popular design choice overall, used in 35.5% of projects overall in 2022. Other stone looks (including granite, travertine, River Rock, and more) made up an additional 27.6% of wall color selections.
- The majority of homeowners in 2022 (60.6%) opted for smooth walls with no tile effect. Of the 40% of projects that included a tile look, subway tile was selected most frequently (31.3% of projects). Slightly larger Fairfield tile was used in another 28% of projects, with large-format 12×24 Roman tile selected for 14.3% of projects.
- Darker grout line colors also gained popularity among 2022 shower trends. A full 11% of projects incorporated either Grayline or Othello wall selections, which feature the look of white tiles with either gray or black grout lines.
Shower Trends 2022: Storage & Seating Grow
A lot can happen in two years, and in the case of bath and shower design, the trend over the last two years has been toward adding more accessories.
- In 2022, 21% of bath remodeling projects included a shower seat, up from just 13% in 2020. Bench seats were the most popular selection this year, chosen for 57.1% of projects where seats were used, followed by the hexagonal corner bench (27.7%) and fold-down teak seats (14.7%).
- Storage around the tub and shower area more than doubled since our last trends report. In 2020, Improveit crews installed an average of 7 shower shelves for every 10 projects. By 2022, that number grew to more than 15 shelves for every 10 projects, indicating that many homeowners are opting for more storage in their tub and shower area.
- As with shower walls in 2022, white, Calcutta, and Silver White marble were the top three color options for shower shelves. In many cases, homeowners opt to have their shelving blend seamlessly with the color of their shower walls, while others choose to mix-and-match.
- Matte black came in as the 4th most popular option, serving as a bold accent for many wall colors in a finish that matches a growing trend toward matte black showerheads and faucets.
These shower colors and design selections are just the beginning of our Bathroom Design Trends 2022 report! Visit Part 2 of the report for additional trends on bath finishes and fixtures, grab bars use, and vanity selections.