Get ready for school and work faster with easy morning routine ideas for the whole family
If back-to-school season is causing more rush than routine around your house, you’re not alone. But with a little bit of prep and organization, you can transform mornings from a frantic frenzy to smooth sailing. These five morning routine ideas can be adapted for kids at any age – and work great for grown-ups that need more a better morning routine too!
…And there goes the school bus.
If back-to-school season is causing more rush than routine around your house, you’re not alone. But a little bit of prep and organization can help you transform mornings from a frantic frenzy to smooth sailing. These five morning routine ideas can be adapted for kids of any age – and work great for grown-ups too!
BED & BATHROOM MORNING ROUTINE IDEAS
1. Get Ready Bin Basics. Speed up everyone’s bathroom time by giving each family member a fun bin or basket to fill with their essentials. Start with a toothbrush and toothpaste, hairbrush, and deodorant, then customize from there.
Facewashes, moisturizers, razors and shaving cream, makeup, and hair styling products can all be corralled neatly. Make sure everyone puts each item back in their bin so it’ll be right there waiting for them the next day. Looking for extra credit? Store each bin under the bathroom sink or in a linen closet to keep items from cluttering the vanity top.
2. Weekend Wardrobe Wonders. Once teeth are brushed, it’s time to get dressed. Make the most of your school morning routine by planning outfits in advance. A hanging storage unit in the closet is a great tool to separate outfits by day of the week. Don’t have enough pairs of jeans or leggings to make it through the whole week? No sweat! (And yes, sweats are allowed too!). When clothes are clean enough to re-wear, simply fold them up and place them in the right compartment to wear another day!
Young kids also respond well to sorting clothes in rainbow order. Try hanging clothes this way (instead of tricky folding) to making picking out – and putting away – outfits easier.
Kitchen Morning Routine Ideas
3. From Junk Drawer to Lunch Drawer. Instead of digging through disorder, conquor the notorious kitchen junk drawer and repurpose the catch-all space to make mornings easier. Keep school lunch calendars, labels, sticky notes, and pens handy for those last-minute permission slips and out-the-door reminders. If your drawer is deep enough, consider using it to keep lunch boxes and water bottles all in one place.
4. Take Charge of Charging. The kitchen is also a perfect place to set up a centralized charging station for the whole family. With one spot to keep phones, tablets, and laptops, it’s easy to have everyone plug in their devices before bed, and grab them – fully charged – on their way out the door in the morning. No more searching for charging cables or desperately plugging in devices moments before the bus arrives – plus you get the added benefit of knowing the kids aren’t on their phones into the wee hours overnight.
5. Shoe Basket Bingo. What’s worse than an uncharged iPad in the morning? A lost shoe. Whether it’s under the couch, lost in a closet, or somehow got left outside…overnight…in the rain (we speak from experience), missing shoes are the fastest way to ruin a good morning routine. prevent this by keeping a big basket by the doors in your home that get the most use.
When kids (and grown-ups!) come home for the day, they can kick off their shoes into the basket. When it’s time to head out again in the morning, voilà! The shoes are right where they’re supposed to be. No more last-minute shoe hunts causing you to miss the bus – and no more tracking dirt, snow, and who knows what else through the house on dirty soles.
Get Ready for School & Work Easier - And Faster - Every Day
These are just a few of the morning routine ideas you and your family can use to make getting out the door faster and easier in the morning. Visit our Facebook or Instagram pages to let us know which one you find most useful, or share others we’ve missed!
And if you find your home needs more than a get ready bin or a charging station to help your family’s morning routine work better, give Improveit a call. Our team is ready to help update your bathroom for better organization or improved use of space. Looking for help in the kitchen? Get the added storage you’re looking for with a new kitchen island, plus a beautifully updated look for all your cabinets – including all the cabinet accessories you need.