get ready for the new year
2020 has been, at best, an odd and challenging year. If you’re anything like us, it felt like it might never end! But here we are in October with just a few weeks between us and the holiday season. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
So grab a cozy blanket, a pumpkin spice latte, and your planning notebook. Our holiday prep checklist will help you organize the next several weeks of guests visiting and gift-giving, so you can end this crazy year with a sense of calm and a little fun.
- Test your furnace and schedule any necessary maintenance.
- Schedule carpet cleanings before guests arrive.
- Check your windows for drafts, broken seals, and damaged locks. If needed, schedule a window replacement project to complete before the real cold weather arrives.
- Inspect bathtubs and showers for broken tile and grout, moldy caulk, leaks, and other problems to repair before guests visit.*
- Inspect gutters, eaves, and attic windows for damage. Repair any damage or access holes before critters decide to move in for the cold weather.*
- Check last year’s holiday lights for burnt-out bulbs, working timers, and anything damaged or outdated.
- Take time to hang holiday lights now before the weather gets too cold.
- Clean indoor and outdoor light fixtures to remove bugs, dirt, and dust. Replace burnt-out bulbs.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Have clean linen sets, including sheets, pillowcases, blankets, and towels ready for guests.
- Prep your home and vehicles for bad winter weather. Equip each vehicle with an ice scraper, flashlight, blanket, bottled water, and first-aid kit. Make sure your home has plenty of working flashlights, batteries, an emergency radio, first-aid supplies, food, and water, etc.
- Clean any remaining fall leaves from your gutters to prevent ice dams from forming over the winter.
There’s a lot to do during the last few weeks of the year, but planning ahead and having a checklist can help things go much more smoothly. ImproveIt can help! You can count on us to easily handle some of the most impactful changes you can make to your home.