Let’s face it, for those of you with kids summer likely lost its appeal by the second week. Your house starts looking like the Tasmanian devil’s vacation home while simultaneously taking on the stench of grass and sweat. Since summer is coming to an end, we found some easy, affordable ways to reclaim your space and get your beloved home back on track.Get back your sense of smell You've probably been avoiding breathing through your nose for the past couple months, but no more! The smells of fall should be an 8 wonder of the world and here are a few ideas of how to bring the outdoors in (without all of the mess).
- Simple Homemade PotPourri: Mix equal parts cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks together.
- Let it Simmer:(not edible!) Place water, a sliced red apple, 2TBS cloves and 3 cinnamon sticks in a pan and let simmer for as long as you desire.
- Oven-baked Heaven: Bake 3 tsp of vanilla extract in an oven-safe bowl at 300 degrees for an hour.
Just because they’re out of the house, doesn’t mean they’re not coming back. Be prepared for the backpacks, coats, shoes, books, etc. with a designated area by a door. This will help prevent stuff from getting strewn around the house.Recreate the look above with a few inexpensive slabs of painted plywood, a couple of wooden baskets and decorative hooks—all found at any hardware store.Create a space for you Because it’s likely the only place in the house that can offer some kind of privacy -- make your bathroom a sanctuary with these small tweaks.
- Incorporate lavender – the most calming fragrance—into your bathroom routine. You can simply add lavender sprigs to a breathable sack and place them on your sink or get an aromatherapy body wash with lavender scent for a relaxing experience every time.
- Soften the lighting - If your bathroom doesn’t have a dimmer—have one added, or simply use candles. Turn off your harsh main bathroom lights and get out the matches. The more candles the merrier.
- Material matters - Invest in a nice plush robe and/or towels. Nothing’s worse than the feel of coarse itchy fabric after a soothing cleanse. You’d be surprised how much of a difference it makes.
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir the soup, milk, vegetables, chicken, noodles, Parmesan cheese and black pepper in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the chicken mixture. Top with the cheese. Let stand until the cheese is melted. Yields: 4 servings.